If there is one character you are sure to see too often this season, it’s Father Christmas, sorry Santa Claus.
He’s present at all children’s parties in his red and white costume … and great white beard.
Here are eight things you should know about African Santa.
1. Abroad, they call him Santa Claus but in Nigeria, he is known as Father Christmas
2. Anybody can be Father Christmas
3. Father Christmas has got no sleigh or reindeers to fly him around
4. In Africa, Father Christmas is more of a corporate mascot
5. Don’t expect Santa to leave your gifts under a Christmas tree
6. Father Christmas is no clown
7. Long as he’s dressed in red and he’s got a white beard, he’s Santa in Nigeria
8. Father Christmas always finds a way to make a living